Friday, June 20, 2008

Thought for the day.

Well, as I approach my next upcoming show, I decided to take a few minutes to be thankful. I was thinking back to design school, and remembered hearing one of the most impacting sentences of my academic experience. It was on a day that I realized I was coming into my own...but fighting it all the way.
I remember the frustration of my interior drawings not being exactly what I thought they should be...in essence, my drawings never looked like anyone else's and I struggled to be okay with my differences.
I remember sitting in my professor's office (one of many times), (who was my one my dearest friends from the very beginning) and hearing her say that maybe right where I was in my style and approach, was exactly that... my own unique style and approach.
Moreover, in that moment I began to be more gentle with my considerations of my skills as an artist...not satisfied with mediocrity, but content with the idea that I was different in style and intent.
So today, I thank those two friends that so gracefully showed me confidence and love as an artist... and today as a painter...very rarely is there a day in the studio when I don't think of you and continue to be inspired by your years of encouragement.
a note with love to: nicole and paula=)

No comments: